Recruitment & selection are distinct processes focusing attention both externally & within the organization.
Flippo’s definition: – It is a process of searching for prospective employees & stimulating & encouraging them to apply for jobs in an organization.
Recruitment process: – Recruitment process involves 5 elements, such as
1. A recruitment policy: – The recruitment policy defines the objectives of recruitment & provides a framework for the implementation of the recruitment program. The policy compliance with economic principles, statutes, & regulations of the organization. It imposes principles to recruit the best employee with criteria for selection & preferences based on merit & suitability.
2. A recruitment organization: – The centralize function of recruitment & selection maximize efficiency & success in hiring.
3. Forecast of Manpower: This usually specifies;
a) Vacancy for specified jobs
b) To determine job qualification & experience for recruitment purposes.
c) Duration of their employment
d) Salary to be offered, & terms & conditions of the employment.
4. Sources of recruitment: – There are 2 kinds of sources;
a) Internal Source: – It includes personnel already on the payroll of an organization. Promotions, transfers, response to employees to notified vacancy are usually ways of internal recruitment.
b) External source: – These sources lie outside the organization.
5. Methods of recruitment: – The following are examples of situations where the organization uses methods for recruitment:
1. Job centre: – A job centre is a external service, which will advertise the job & help with short listing suitable candidates from a pool of available candidates.
2. Employment exchange: – It is a recruitment office to register candidates or job seekers, & organize their placement in notified vacancies.
3. Advertisement: – A popular source of recruitment is advertising for the job in newspaper, magazines, or journals.
4. Employee referrals: – Friends & relatives of present employee introduce new recruit, which proves highly credible & important source for the organization.
5. Internet: – The use of internet provides a highly cost effective & efficient means of reaching applicants on a global basis. It offers a more consistent publicize relevant & dynamic job information (Lievens & Harris, 2003), as well as showcasing their achievements & credentials.