In the world of AR-15 customization, the finishing touches can transform a firearm from a standard configuration into a personalized work of art. Among the myriad of coating options, Cerakote stands out as a versatile and durable choice for AR15 Upper uppers. Let’s explore how AR-15 upper Cerakote finishes bring together style and function, offering enthusiasts a combination of aesthetics and enhanced performance.
1. What is Cerakote?
- Cerakote is a polymer-ceramic composite coating renowned for its durability, corrosion resistance, and wide range of available colors. Originally developed for the firearms industry, Cerakote has become a popular choice for coating various gun components, including AR-15 uppers.
2. Durability and Corrosion Resistance:
- Cerakote provides a tough, abrasion-resistant finish that protects the AR-15 upper from wear and tear. Its corrosion-resistant properties make it ideal for firearms exposed to various environmental conditions, ensuring long-lasting performance.
3. Heat Resistance:
- AR-15 uppers experience high temperatures during rapid firing. Cerakote’s ability to withstand extreme heat makes it an excellent choice for coatings, preventing discoloration and maintaining the finish’s integrity.
4. Color Variety and Customization:
- Cerakote offers an extensive palette of colors, allowing firearm enthusiasts to express their individual style. Whether you prefer subdued earth tones, tactical black, or vibrant hues, Cerakote provides endless customization possibilities.
5. Camo Patterns and Designs:
- Enthusiasts can take customization to the next level with Cerakote by incorporating camo patterns or unique designs. This not only adds a personal touch but can also serve practical purposes, such as blending into specific environments for hunting or tactical applications.
6. Reduced IR Signature:
- Some Cerakote finishes, particularly those designed for military and law enforcement use, feature properties that reduce the infrared (IR) signature of the firearm. This can be advantageous in certain operational scenarios where minimizing visibility is crucial.
7. Easy Maintenance:
- Cerakote’s smooth and non-porous surface makes it easy to clean and maintain. Resistant to solvents and cleaning chemicals, Cerakote ensures that the AR-15 upper retains its appearance even after rigorous use and cleaning.
8. Increased Resale Value:
- A well-applied Cerakote finish not only enhances the aesthetics of an AR-15 upper but can also contribute to increased resale value. The durability and unique appearance make Cerakoted firearms desirable within the firearms community.
9. DIY Cerakoting:
- Some firearm enthusiasts choose to apply Cerakote finishes themselves using DIY kits. While professional application is recommended for optimal results, DIY Cerakoting allows individuals to experiment with colors and patterns on their AR-15 uppers.